Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust has accepted that it was at fault following the death of a patient who was administered a drug by an unsupervised healthcare assistant during a home visit.
A trust board report, published on 26 September, revealed that the healthcare provider was at fault in the death of a woman in December 2015.
Patricia Cleghorn, who died from an “intentional overdose”, was in the care of the trust’s home treatment team, while waiting for voluntary admission to an inpatient bed.
She was administered a controlled drug by an unsupervised healthcare assistant. The “preventing future death” report said Ms Cleghorn was administered 5mg of diazepam by an HCA working for the team.
Full story in The Nursing Times 3 November 2016